My mom is expert in vegetarian cooking and used to make a lot of varieties, which I appreciate more and more now. Sometimes a seemingly simple recipe is so delicious and requires so little effort that you are surprised by it. So when I asked my mom what to cook ( yeah, I keep poking for ideas), she told me this recipe.
Panchmel dal /five lentil mix
- Split green gram dal-1/4 cup
- Chana dal- 1/4 cup
- Washed yellow moong dal- 1/4 cup
- Washed urad dal- 1 tbsp
- Toor/arhar dal -1/4 cup
- Ginger- 1" piece,grated
- Onion-1, medium, chopped
- Green chillies-1 chopped
- Salt to taste and turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Garlic-2 cloves sliced thinly
- Heeng/asafoetida- 1 pinch
- Jeera/cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Ghee/ clarified butter- 1/2 Tbsp
- Take all the dals in a container and wash them thoroughly.
- Put these together in a pressure cooker and add water.
- Add ginger, chopped onions, green chillies, salt & turmeric powder.
- Cook on high flame till 2 whistles and then on medium low flame for few minutes till its done.
- For tadka, heat ghee in a tadka pan.
- Add jeera and heeng. When the jeera sizzles , add sliced garlic.
- Sauté for a few minutes.
- Pour the tadka contents in the cooked dal and stir.
- Heat for a few seconds and serve hot with roti/ indian flatbread.