- Grease and line the bottom of an 9” round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a mixing bowl, assemble the flour, custard powder or cornstarch, icing sugar, baking powder and baking soda, mix with a spoon or a fork.
- Preheat the oven at about 150 degrees centigrade.
- Put in the condensed milk, butter, vanilla extract and milk into the mixing bowl containing the dry ingredients. Beat with an electric hand mixer, whisk or spoon until the mixture comes together and there are no lumps. It should not be overbeaten otherwise it'll cause the cake to be hard.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for an hour at 150 degree centigrade.
- The cake is done when a knife comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.
- Cool the cake.
- Chill 2 Bowls in the Fridge. Chill the Beater/Whisk.
- Divide the Whipping Cream in 2 Bowls. Add 2 Tablespoons of Sugar to each bowl along with the Cream.
- Put one bowl back in the Fridge to Chill.
- Beat the Whipping Cream, & the Sugar in one bowl till the cream is thick, fluffy & forms peaks.
- Repeat with the other bowl of cream.
- Slice the sponge cake into 2 halves carefully
- Keep the bottom half in the serving plate and sprinkle with pineapple juice till its well soaked.
- Spread a layer of cream and top it with thin pineapple slices.
- Very carefully keep the top portion on the prepared one and soak it again with pineapple juice.
- Spread the cream over the cake to cover the sides and decorate with more pineapple slices.
- Chill for a few hours or overnight for the flavors to set in.
We celebrated the birthday of my mother in law this month. She is a perky and fun-loving person with a genuine smiling face. It is very easy to talk to her and she befriends you with her laughter charm. Given the special person she is, I wanted to make a cake really suited for her birthday.
Pineapples are in abundance here and they are as sweet as it can get. We've been feasting on ripe pineapples almost every day during the duration of their (my mother and father in law) stay. So this cake came out to be the perfect choice for this joyous occasion.
Pineapple layer cake
If you are using fresh pineapples then soak the slices in thin sugar syrup. This will prevent pineapple from turning bitter. Otherwise used tinned ones.
For the Sponge:
250 gm (1 & 3/4 cups) plain flour
2 tbsp vanilla custard powder
4 tbsp icing sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda/ sodium bicarbonate
1 tin/400gm sweetened condensed milk
100 gm (1/2 cup) butter
175 ml (3/4 cup) milk (can use water instead)
2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
Whipping cream- 500ml chilled
Icing sugar- 4 tbsp
To Prepare the Cream:
To assemble the cake