This recipe is not only easy to make but is also a treat for the taste buds. It can be served on the sides or as main dish with yogurt and/or pickle. A number of variants are present in every household in India.
1. Rice (Basmati)- 1 cup
2. Carrots- 1/2 cup chopped
3. Beans - chopped about 1 tbsp
4. Peas- 1/2 cup
5. Potatoes- 1 medium, chopped into small cubes
6. Clove-1 crushed
7. Black cardamom- 1 ,crushed
8. Green cardamom- 2-3. crushed
9. Cinnamon- 1/4 tsp
10. Jeera (cumin seeds)- 1/2 tsp
11. Coriander powder- 2 tsp
12. Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp or to taste
13. Salt- 1/3 tsp or as per taste
14. Ghee- 1 & 1/2 tbsp
15. A dash of lime
( You can use any number of vegetables. I usually use what ever I have left with in the fridge in small amounts. Avoid pungent vegetables like onions, broccoli or cauliflower here, as they have a strong taste of their own. Savor the flavor of fragrant spices.)
Cooking equipments you will need:
• Pressure cooker
• Chopping board
• Ladle/ long steel spoon
1. Wash and drain the rice thoroughly. Then steep the rice in water for 10-15 min.
2. Wash and prepare the vegetables on the chopping board.
3. Take the pressure cooker. Heat ghee in it.
4. Add clove, green & black cardamom and cinnamon.
5. When they start to sizzle add cumin seeds. These will probably splatter immediately too.
6. Now add red chilli powder and add vegetables right after it.
7. Add coriander powder and toss the vegetables in the spice mixture.
8. Cook at high flame for 2-3 min.
9. Now add the rice and water(about 2 cups).
10. Close the lid and keep it on high flame till one whistle.
11. Switch off the gas and let the cooker cool down.
12. Serve hot.
The rice should not be mushy, avoid keep on the flame for a longer period as it will lead to overcooking of the rice.