Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Laapsi (Sweet Bulger)


    This is a traditional Rajasthani sweet.  Whenever I have to serve something special and traditional, this one comes real handy. It's easy to make and is usually bang on target!
    In my home, it was usually made in the Diwali (Popularly known as, the festival of lights) "Annakoot" poojan (the traditional prayer with offerings during Diwali time). A lot of times it was a feast-feature when we had gathering of the whole family (yes, I happen to have a huge joint and extended family).
    This recipe is associated with old memories of childhood, where we just went running about the place and ate everything served on our plates (since we were at least 4 kids sharing a big plate).The kitchen would be crammed, because most women would be in there with aroma of goodies floating around.
    Those were the days…
    Recently my hubby got a taste for it! So he requested me to make it and I happily obliged. With a recipe that tasty & easy…who wouldn't?
    Laapsi
    Ingredients
  1. Daliya (broken wheat, Bulger)-1/2 cup
  2. Jaggary/ gur-1/2 cup
  3. Clarified butter/Ghee- 1 Tbsp
  4. Green cardamom (crushed)- about 1-2 pinch, discard the shell
  5. Dry fruits- (optional)
  6. Water for cooking

    Method
  1. Heat ghee and soak jaggary in water
  2. Roast daliya in this ghee till its golden brown.
  3. Pour water and let it cook on medium flame for a 5-10 minutes
  4. Strain the jaggary soaked in water and collect the water. The remaining jaggary can be kept for further use.
  5. When the daliya is cooked add jaggary water to it
  6. Let is cook for a few min. The visible water should evaporate.
  7. Add the crushed cardamom. You can also add dry fruits (almonds, cashews, raisins etc.) to this mix.
  8. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. My MIL makes this a lot! and yes they are in Rajasthan:) I like it but cannot have too much of it. Now I know how t make it. Thanks for the recipe. I think I will like it with lots of dry fruits in it.
    xo
    Soma

    ReplyDelete