Daliya is basically broken wheat or wheat bulgar. Its rich in fibre and also retains the most of the vitamins and minerals since it has not been processed extensively. It is made in several ways, like with milk (doodh daliya) or with jaggary (Laapsi)or maybe served like plain daliya (plain porridge). The varieties are endless.
Vegetable daliya is one of my favorites. I like it cause it's filling but doesn't gives you that heavy feeling in the stomach. Usually I make it for breakfast, but occasionally, as a light dinner, it fits the bill just fine.
1. Daliya- 1 cup
2. Ghee/butter- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon
3. Carrots- 1cup
4. Spring onions-1 cup
5. Capsicum- 1 medium, chopped
6. Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
7. Salt to taste
8. Water- about 1 & 1/2 cup
9. Red chili powder- 1/4 tsp
10. Lemon juice from one small lemon
1. Take a pressure cooker and heat the ghee or butter in it
2. Add daliya and roast it till it darkens a little and gives a cooked aroma
3. Now add all the vegetables and salt, sauté it.
4. Pour water keeping your face away as some droplets might strike back, as the pan will be very hot
5. Close the pressure cooker. Keep it on medium high heat for a few minutes.
6. At the first whistle, turn off the heat. Let the cooker cool.
7. Squeeze the lemon over it.
8. Serve daliya with curd on the side
Serve 2 with full bowls