Happy new year!!
I know I've been absent from the blog space for a while now, but now I'm bacck! And we are starting this new year with this very celebratory choco-orange cake...yummm.
Choco-orange cake with nutella frosting
Adapted from Anushruti's cake
200 gm (1 1/2 cups) plain flour (i use whole wheat flour, pre-milled)
50 gm (1/4 cup) cocoa powder( i used Hershey's)
30 gm (4 tbsp) fine sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda/ sodium bicarbonate
1 tin/400gm sweetened condensed milk ( Nestle)
150 gm butter melted
1 tsp Orange extract
250 ml (1 cup) water
For soaking the sponge
Orange juice ( fresh or packed, i used packed)- 5 tbsp approximately, but you can use more if you wish to. I intend to use more next time.
Nutella- 1/3 cup
orange extract - 1 tsp
Filling for layer
Pulp of 2-3 oranges (or mausmi/moshumbi) - about 1/2 cup
Icing sugar- 25 gm (5-6 spoons approx.)
20 gm butter
1. Grease and line the bases of cake tin with greaseproof paper/baking parchment/butter paper.
2. Assemble the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and baking soda, mix with a fork and sieve once to make the mixture uniform.
3. Preheat the oven at about 150 c/300F.
4. Add in the condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla and water. Beat with an electric hand mixer or whisk till the mixture is uniform and smooth and there are no lumps. Do not overbeat.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50-60 min. or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
6. After the cake is, allow to rest in their tins forsome time and then cool them by keeping them on a cooling rack.
7. When the cake is cooled, slice it from the middle and divide into 2 parts. Sprinkle the Orange juice. Keep both parts seperate and leave them overnight.
Mix all the ingredients together and leave it overnight.
Put Nutella in the microwave for 10-15 sec to make it smoother in consistancy, add orange extract and whip it to mix well.
Assemble the cake
Spread the filling on the bottom portion of the cake and place the upper part on it. Press gently. Now spread the nutella frosting on the top and sides with a flat spoon or butter knife. You can sprinkle a little icing sugar or white chocolate chips on it.
Devour the yummy cake...;)