Sooji kheer is one of the easiest things to make and is ready in a jiffy. It can be served hot as well as cold, depending on one's preferance. My baby loves this one so I make it practically everyday, hence I'm giving measures for a single serving. You might need to add more milk though, if you feel that its gotten too thick and adjust the sugar accordingly. The sooji has to be toasted but not burnt to get a proper flavor.
You need: (for 1 serving)
- Sooji - 2tsp
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Ghee/clarified butter- 1tsp
- Cardamom- 1, peeled and crushed
- Dry fruits (optional)- crushed almonds, cashews, pistachios etc.
- Kesar/saffron- 1 strand (optional)
- Take a thick bottomed wok/Kadhai and put it on the flame. Put ghee and let it melt.
- Add sooji and roast it till a cooked smell comes and it is slightly golden brown.
- Add milk and let it come to a boil. Lastly, add sugar and cardamom. (add kesar too, if you are using it)
- Remove from flame and garnish with dry fruits.
- Serve immediately or after cooling for a few hours in the refrigerator.