- Brown bread/ wheat bread/ multigrain bread- 4 slices
- Cucumber- 1, thinly sliced
- Tomato- 1 big, thinly sliced
- Capsicum- 1, thinly sliced
- Red Onion-1, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms- 3-4 small, thinly sliced and sautéed in oil/butter
- Olives-4, thinly sliced (I used pimento olives)
- Lettuce- 4 leaves, washed and torn by hand
- Salt-to taste
- Pepper-to taste
- Cheese spread- to spread on the slices- 4 tsp
- Mustard sauce and ketchup (optional)
- Spread the cheese on the slice. You can use readymade cheese slices also.
- Spread the layer of each vegetable ; onion, cucumber, tomato, capsicum, mushrooms and olives.
- Add salt & pepper. Now cover with torn lettuce leaves.
- Cover this with another slice of bread ( if you want you can put some ketchup/mustard sauce on this slice).
- Serve with hot cocoa or tea.
A tasty Sandwich
Here's another staple..though the ingredients are very simple , they result in a very satisfying bite.
Yumm…..yes, we can say that for a sandwich :-)
Ingredients (for 2 sandwiches)
Variations to the filling:
You can add corn instead of mushrooms. You can boil them instead of sautéing them.
Add dried herbs of your liking eg. sweet basil and mint.
If red onion is too pungent for you, take white onions.
To add more color use multicolored capsicum- red, yellow & green. If you have access to colored lettuce or cabbage , use that. Cabbage needs to be washed and blanched before use.
You can use mayonnaise instead of cheese spread but, I'm not a big fan.
If you have any more filling ideas for a tasty cold sandwich, I would love to give it a try.
Ciao ….shabba khair….bbye